Friday, March 30, 2012

So Tell Me What You Think!!! Tell me what you think and offer any suggestions as to what programming and services that you think at-risk youth and their families need in order to achieve resilience.

So, I completed my research and community assessment. I conducted 6 interviews and received 1 personal reflection. I distributed 330 surveys and received 195 back. Needless to say I gained a wealth of knowledge and insight as to what current at-risk youth, former at-risk youth, and parents of at-risk youth see as being important to ensure that these youth do not remain at-risk and achieve resiliency. I found that it is important for youth to have the following things to help them not to be at-risk and to transition from being at-risk to resilient.



·         Church, God, Faith, Prayer

·         Parenting

·         A Father Figure

·         A Positive Role Model

·         Education

·         Extra-Curricular Activities

·         Trust

·         Bravery and Courage

·        Support, Someone to talk to an listen, Guidance and Direction, Love, Caring and Encouragement



Based on what I see as causes and symptoms to the problem, what the participants of my research see as being important to fostering resiliency and my own personal experience, I would like to start a faith based organization that has programs designed to help youth and their families acquire the necessary life skills to become successful and prosperous adults as well as achieve a healthy and supportive family environment. The programs will assist them in overcoming difficult community, school and family challenges and achieve resiliency. I came up with the following possible solutions which are listed below.



·         Youth Development

o   Confidence/Self-Esteem Building

o   Mentoring

o   Academic Support

o   Career Training

·         Youth Recidivism Prevention

o   Peer Mentoring

o   Transition to work

o   Educational Assistance

o   Accountability and Behavior Change

·         Family Development

o   Parenting Skills

o   Bonding Techniques

o   Communication Skills

o   Family Counseling/Individual Counseling

No comments:

Post a Comment